Hi friends, welcome back to my blog! Today I’m coming at you with something new and different for me becuase I was feeling fun and festive and very very trashy! In the last few days of 2019 I started rewatching Glee and started writing this blog post but then I got half way through the season and stopped watching. But, now we’re in 2021 and I’ve decided to embrace my trashy mood and I’m finishing this rewatch! And, I figured why not post my Glee opinions and share them with all of you!
Let me know what you think of the show in the comments! Do you think the show aged well? Did you watch it when it came out?
Minorities: OCD, LGBTQ+ (Kurt is gay, Brittany is bi??), Speech Impediment (Tina has a stutter – wait no she doesn’t wtf)
TW: Homophobia, Disability jokes, Suicide discussion, Lying about pregnancy, Use of the word sp*z, Teen pregnancy, Sex, Pedophilia, Racism, Deaf insults/jokes, Relationship cheating, Drugs, Discussion of not vaccinating children, Use of word f*g
- A really good intro, they introduce Sue first which is interesting and they pin her as a certain type of character pretty quick.
- We’re only a matter of minutes in and there’s already a male teacher feeling up a male student
- Oh my God, Will’s wife is AWFUL, she comes across as very controlling and manipulative
- It’s actually surprising that they got a full 22 episode season because this show is pretty cringey
- Oh My God him recruiting Finn was NOT GOOD that boy was singing alone in a shower in a school I was uncomfy!!
- Rachel is legit a brat, does she get better??? Please???
- Jonathon Groff wasn’t in this episode so I didn’t love it, he’s truly my favourite voice on this show (but not my favourite character, that honour goes to Sam Evans).
- Will’s cover of Leaving On a Jet Plane was NOT GOOD. However, Don’t Stop Believin’ is ICONIC.
- They locked a student in a wheelchair in a portable toilet??? What???
Episodes 2, 3, 4 & 5
- This entire show is based on stereotypes holy shit
- Finn legit cheated on Quinn in episode 2, why do y’all stan this boy???
- Acafellas was a fever nightmare and I hate it.
- Josh Groban???
- Why is Sandy a character? He legit should’ve been cut after the Pilot.
- Rachel is so unlikeable! Finn cheated again! (1×05)
- I’m still waiting for Jonathon Groff to turn up, ngl.
Episodes 6, 7 & 8
- These episodes are long! 45 minutes!
- It’s My Life/ Confessions is one of the best songs & that’s the truth!
- I’m glad Will is supportive, but he has a weird relationship with these kids.
- I just want Blaine and Jonathon Groff here to make this show actually interesting. Also, I’m totally biased because they sing some of my favourite songs on the show.
- Terri is a genuinely horrible person.
Episodes 9, 10 & 11
- There’s a lot of talk about minorities & being different but at the same time, this show has endless jokes and comments at the expense of minorities. 🙃
- Tina pretended to have a stutter??? What???
- I truly hate seeing bad deaf representation (as a hoh viewer, especially), it makes me sick to my stomach. This show really needed sensitivity viewers before it aired.
Episodes 12, 13 & 14
- “So here’s what you missed last week.” Thanks, I hate it.
- So there’s another footballer on the glee club but I don’t know his name or anything about him.
- Jonathon Groff just sang Highway to Hell and it was so over the top but I loved it!
- Idina Menzel!
- I feel like Finn has gone from 0 – 100 with liking Rachel and I’m so confused.
Episodes 15, 16 & 17
- “When I pulled my hamstring I went to a mysognist” oh my god she has the best lines!
- Sue gave Mercedes a week to lose 10 pounds??? Kurt supports that? Why do I feel like the show is never going to address the unhealthy relationship half these girls have with food after this episode?
- April is such an interesting character, if completely unecessary.
- I forgot how much focus there was on Schuster. He’s so annoying and boring, why is he given so much screen time?
- Does anyone else find Kurt annoying?
- Puck and Rachel wou’dve been a really interesting couple ngl
- Jesse and Rachel were a very interesting couple too – I wonder why they kept bringing him back in the show if he wasn’t supposed to be endgame??
- Also, Bright Eyes? A bop.
Episodes 18, 19 & 20
- I still think that they named him Jesse just so they could do Jessie’s Girl.
- A++++ for Burt. Dad of the year!
- I think episode 19 makes it very clear that Jessse actually really likes Rachel and that he’s fully being manipulated by an adult that he trusts. He’s a little shit but it’s also important to remember that he’s a kid being manipulated by his teacher.
- Very interesting that we see Burt so much but Rachel’s dads are never involved in her parental plotline.
- I hope these walls are soundproofed because they’re always singing with microphones in the middle of class…
- Beth is a VERY underrated song!
Episodes 21 & 22
- They LITERALLY showed the New Directions they were doing Queen 😂
- I loved Jesse’s character in season 1 but let’s be real, he never felt like a real character because his appearances were so sporadic even when he was officially dating Rachel.
- Puck is seriously ride or die for Glee we love subtle character development.
- When did they decide this set list? Where did the costumes come from?
- The people in the hospital must have all been so confused why they were all in matching outfits.
- Puck and Quinn and great and everything but I lowkey ship Puck and Rachel. Yikes. Like, if Finn and Jesse both didnt pan out, Puck would’ve been interesting as an SO for Rachel.
A List of Uncomfy-Borderline Illegal things Will Schuster did:
- Legit just standing there while naked Finn was singing in the showers (1×01)
- Accusing Finn of doing drugs (1×01)
- Whenever he raps (1×02, 1×08)
- When he took his shirt off in a classroom full of high schoolers (1×08)
- Street dancing
- When he looked Artie right in the eye while singing an emotional love song.
- When he sang Endless Love with Rachel… his student.
- Always touching the kids’ shoulders
- He serenaded Sue! He poked his butt out at her! A crime took place in that room!
HAVE YOU REWATCHED GLEE SINCE THE SHOW ENDED?
ARE YOU TEAM FINN OR TEAM JESSE? (OR A CLOSETED TEAM PUCK?)
5 thoughts on “I REWATCHED GLEE SEASON 1 AND OH MY GOD”
Legit ALL of this. Omg, this show is so cringe. I don’t get why I loved it so much when it was so dang horrid. And yet a part of me is like “maybe I should do a rewatch?” I hated season 1 a lot, but after that, it got a bit better. But then went downhill again. Ahh, Glee.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Honestly, the show is SO ridiculous! I don’t know how they got away with everything they did tbh!
Haha, yeah I’m going to slowly rewatch the show but I have to take it very slowly because it’s exhausting!
I watched Glee as it aired from 2009 to 2015. It is my favorite show and holds a very special place in my heart. Not much of it holds up to day’s super-woke standards, but I still watch it when I want to stroll down memory lane.