Originally my intent for this month was to read every singe day pretty much non-stop but as you can probably assume that was a ridiculous goal that would have only surved to burn me out before the new year so I axed that almost immediately and aimed to just read as much as I could, since at the start of th emonth I was mostly just watching movies.
Overall, I think the month went really well for me and I’m even more excited to go into the new year, than ever! Happy 2021 everyone!
- Jan 2020: 4,479 pages
- Feb 2020: 7,109 pages
- March 2020: 4,156 pages
- April 2020: 9,116 pages
- May 2020: 5,866 pages
- June 2020: 2,466 pages
- July 2020: 1,942 pages
- August 2020: 4,062 pages
- September 2020: 1,432 pages
- October 2020: 2,456 pages
- November 2020: 1,496 pages
- December 2020: 5,404 pages
- 2020 page count: 49,984 pages
- # Read this month: 16
*Click on the titles to go to my Goodreads reviews!
- My Hero Academia Vol 1 [30/11 – 01/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ Not as good as the anime so I probably won’t continue.
- Batman Vol 2 [04/12] ↢ 5⭐ ↣ This series continues to astound me, it’s so good!
- A Little Life [08 – 14/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ I don’t know what to say. This book was so well written and the characters so well developed that it’s a hard book to fault. But, when it comes down to it, I didn’t enjoy reading this book. I feel accomplished now that I’ve finished it like I’ve achieved something big in the reading world and my life. But this really was a miserable experience for me
- Batman Vol 3 [15/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ I found this pretty disturbing to read because the artstyle and content was so horrific, but in an authentic but “hard to look” at kind of way. As always, this was fantastic and angsty and dark and had a great secondary theme of family, but oh God The Joker really is one of my least favourite Batman villains.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck [18/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Not groundbreaking by any means, but still a good read.
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue [19 – 21/12] ↢ 5⭐ ↣ I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I just read my favourite book of 2020.
- The Empress of Salt and Fortune [21/12] ↢ 3.75⭐ ↣ I had no idea what to expect going into this but oh boy! It was fantastic and written so well, I’ll definitely be re-reading these in the new year.
- When The Tiger Came Down The Mountain [21/12] ↢ 3.75⭐ ↣ I think I enjoyed this sequel *slightly* more than book one, I loved how the tigers were written!
- Middlegame [21 – 25/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ 100% one of my top 5 favourite books of 2020!
- Over The Woodward Wall [26 – 27/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Not the best but I’ll absolutely be reading the sequel!
- The Duke and I [27 – 28/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ Very amusing writing, but I wish the main plot point (in the second half) had been written differently!
- The Vicount Who Loved Me [28 – 29/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Better than book one, I really enjoy how these books are written!
- An Offer From A Gentleman [29/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ My favourite so far, probably the best Cinderella retelling I’ve ever read!
- Romancing Mr Bridgerton [29/12] ↢ 3.75⭐ ↣ A bit of a slow start but by far the most interesting novel so far and I love Penelope as a protagonist!
- To Sir Phillip, With Love [30/12] ↢ 2⭐ ↣ Absolutely my least favourite book in the series so far, I couldn’t bring myself to care about these characters at any point so I can only hope the next book is better.
- Pride & Prejudice [31/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ I managed to re-read this in a few hours and it brought me so much joy, absolutely the best way I could’ve finished out the year!
[IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT I’M READING WHILE I’M READING, YOU CAN CATCH ME ON GOODREADS OR STORYGRAPH]
*Click on the titles for my Letterboxd reviews!
# Shorts: 3
# Movies: 31
- The Phantom Menace [01/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Past me somehow managed to forget about Jar Jar Binks and I would like to go back to that state of peace immediately.
- Attack of The Clones [02/12] ↢ 2⭐ ↣ Pretty meh, but it was interesting to learn more about the clones.
- Inside Out [03/12] ↢3⭐ ↣ God, I really wish this movie had been as good as I remembered it.
- Revenge of The Sith [04/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ My rating doesn’t really do my thoguhts justice. I rated this th lwoest in the trilogy but it was my favourite and the one I’d be most likely to rewatch in the future. Watching Anakin’s character development was so interesting and I wish they’d focused on it even more.
- Luxo Jr. [05/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Watching a lamp get excited about a ball was possibly the highlight of my day.
- Lou [06/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ If you have Disney+ I highly recommend checking out the shorts category!
- Solo: A Star Wars Story [07/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ Y’all are gonna hate me for this, but this has been the best SW movie so far 😂
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [07/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ I wish I could say that I loved this but for some reason I just really didn’t.
- National Treasure [08/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ If you haven’t seen this movie or don’t like it I’m sorry but we can’t be friends.
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets [09/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ Truly an awful movie and I lvoe it with my entire heart and soul.
- Godmothered [10/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ This movie was so bland, thank god Santiago Cabrera did his best to save it.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars [11/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ I have a sneaking suspicion that I’ve seen this before, so it didn’t feel like a suprise to me at any point, but it was enjoyable enough.
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Holiday Special [12/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ Completely skippable and too scripted and “Disney-fied”.
- Your Name. [13/12] ↢ 5⭐ ↣ I loved this so much when I watched it a few weeks ago so I had to watch it again!
- Little Italy [14/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ Yes, this does exist and yes, I did watch it.
- The Holiday [14/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ Don’t mind me just rewatching the best Christmas movie of all time for what is probably the hundredth time.
- Tenet [16/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ Very confusing and very badly sound mixed but I’d watch it again.
- ‘Twas The Night [17/12] ↢ 1.5⭐ ↣ Awful. Just awful.
- Love The Coopers [17/12] ↢ 4.5⭐ ↣ I recognise how awful this is but I still had a blast.
- Spider-Man 2 [18/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ I didn’t love this as much as usual but it’s still brilliant!
- Bridget Jones’s Diary [19/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Classic, unsual and offensive british humour. This really doesn’t stand the test of time.
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason [19/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ B Jones should absolutely drop them both and move to a different country.
- Bridget Jones’s Baby [19/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ Dempsey is the superior choice and this movie’s message that a decade of on and off dating and a rocky relationship can be fixed with a baby is genuinely awful.
- The Legend of Zorro [20/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Cringey but still one of my favourite franchises!
- Small Fry [21/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ At this point I think I’m just done with this franchise all together.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [22/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ I still maintain that Indiana Jones is one of my favourite franchises from the 80s but I can’t deny that it’s always an interesting ride!
- Back To The Future [22/12] ↢ 4⭐ ↣ I’ve decided that I need to start watching this less frequently because I’m starting to get to the point where I’m getting sick of it.
- Back To The Future II [22/12] ↢ 1.5⭐ ↣ Truly one of the worst sequels of all time.
- Zootopia [22/12] ↢ 4.5⭐ ↣ I still can’t believe Disney had the guts to make this film.
- Happiest Season [22/12] ↢ 2⭐ ↣ I just wanted this to be so much better than it was.
- Zootopia [23/12] ↢ 4.5⭐ ↣ Yes, I did re-watch this just a day later.
- The Santa Clause [25/12] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ I always forget that at its heart this is a Christmas divorce drama???
- The Santa Clause 2 [25/12] ↢ 2.5⭐ ↣ The moment the writers realised they needed to make Tim Allen likeable: 🤬🤬🤬
- Wonder Woman 1984 [28/12] ↢ 3.5⭐ ↣ Some script and story problems but overall, I enjoyed this more than the first film.
- Bridgerton Season 1 [26 – 31/12/2020] ↢ 3⭐ ↣ Okay so I live for all the gossip and for characters like Eloise and Penelope. But, this show wanted to be a Modern-Historical that discusses women’s rights and social classes etc. without actually having to discuss them. You can’t preach about consent and then write in a rape scene between the two main characters and then have everyone (the 2 characters, writers, audience etc.) ignore it. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If there’s a season 2 I’ll watch it, but I really really hope that the showrunners and talent behind this show will have learnt from this first season, however unlikely that is.
[IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT I’M WATCHING WHILE I’M WATCHING, YOU CAN CATCH ME ON TVTIME & LETTERBOXD]
- The Clone Wars Season 1 [05/12/2020 – ?] ↣ At first the animation threw me off but now I love it, I’m very excited to dive into this show!
- My Hero Academia Season 1 [30/11/12 – ?] ↣ I am LOVING THIS???
- Grey’s Anatomy Season 1 [24/12/2020 – ?] ↣ I know this show will destoy me but I already love Meredith Grey with my whole heart so I’m definitely going to continue this through 2021.
- The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After [28/12/2020 – ?] ↣ I’m gradually getting through these epilogues as I get through the series. Honestly, some of these are better than others and I think it peeaked in the first few stories.
WHAT DID YOU READ THIS MONTH?
DID WE READ/WATCH ANY OF THE SAME THINGS?
Goodreads | StoryGraph | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time | Twitter | Tumblr
6 thoughts on “DECEMBER WRAP UP // i read soo many regency romances this month??? help??? 📚🌈😱”
Why do you need help? The book community as a whole needs to stop all the romance shade. Like i or don’t, but there’s some not-so-subtle misogyny in the way women feel the need to apologize for reading a very traditionally-feminine genre.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I can completely understand your reaction, and I admit my title was meant more for clickbait than anything else. BUT, I do see your point now and won’t do it again in the future because you’re right and I agree with you, we shouldn’t shun women for reading romance, or for reading what they enjoy.
I mostly meant it as a joke with myself because I’ve never really read any Regency Romances aside from Jane Austen so it came as a shock to me that I enjoyed them, that’s all.
I have been trying to decide if I want to read The Duke and I and watch Bridgerton, I’m so curious but I know that plot point is going to be so off-putting and it’s going to make me uncomfortable.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I think the rest of the series is worth reading if you like the characters, but you could probably get away with skipping book 1 if you really wanted to, you’d just have less context for who the characters are. I’m sure you could find book/character summaries online though. I think books 3 and 4 are my favourite so far (I’m on book 6 right now).
Book one is definitely the only truly problematic one with the rape scene, I think the author definitely learnt her lesson.
I have watched the show and honestly, I don’t know that it’s worth it. It drags a bit towards the end and I honestly think that unless you really like Daphne and Simon you won’t enjoy the show. My favourite characters were Anthony, Benedict and Eloise but they won’t be the focus for a few seasons (Anthony will be season 2) if the show continues.
Obviously, it’s up to you if you read/watch the series, but I will say that though the rape in the book is worse, the book series as a whole is better than the tv show, in my opinion. (I really don’t like how the show handled that scene because they basically made Daphne blameless and said it was Simon’s fault. He even had to apologise etc. & the big reward in the finale is that they have a child. UGH.)
LikeLiked by 1 person
I ended up watching the show and liking it (it was entertaining), but i agree that they didn’t handled the aftermath of that scene well at all and I had issues with other things as well. I read books 1 and 2, I obviously had issues with book 1 but I liked book 2. I’m not excited about book 3 because I don’t particularly enjoy Cinderella retellings but I can wait to get to book 4. Penelope and Colin were two of my favorite characters in the show and
I can’t wait to get to their story.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh my god, that whole plotline was horrendous! I think the show had a lot of issues, but I’ve got my fingers crossed the showrunners will listen and change their writing accordingly.
I can understand not liking book 3 tbh. It’s one of my favourites in the series but it’s also skippable tbh. I LOVED book 4 though, I hope you enjoy it!
LikeLiked by 1 person