So… September. What can I say about September? I was in a bit of a weird life funk this month. I had a tonne of work to do for uni, I was planning a readathon, trying to find a job, in a pseudo-reading slump and all while being my super anxious self… it was an experience, I’ll tell you that for free.
What’s new with me?
You’ve all probably seen the announcement by now, as well as my life update post, but just in case you haven’t I’ll talk about it again here!
In October, a few friends and I will be hosting our second round of the GraphicsAthon; a readathon dedicated to reading manga, graphic novels and comics. It runs from the 11th to the 19th so come join us! You can find the announcement post here, and find us on Twitter over here.
Guess who forgot to keep up with their tbr this month!
- Jan 2020: 4,479 pages
- Feb 2020: 7,109 pages
- March 2020: 4,156 pages
- April 2020: 9,116 pages
- May 2020: 5,866 pages
- June 2020: 2,466 pages
- July 2020: 1,942 pages
- August 2020: 4,062 pages
- September 2020: 1,432 pages
- # Read this month: 4
🌻 – Buddy read
🎧 – Audiobook
📚 – Library book
💻 – Ebook/Kindle
🔁 – Re-read
✨ – Review copy
🌈 – LGBTQIA+ rep
I had a lot of big plans for reading this month but I was mostly taken over by school work and assessment so I’ve got my fingers crossed that October will be better once my final essays have been handed in!
- The Merchant of Venice [01/09] – 3 ⭐ – Not a big fan of this one but I can see why others like it!
- The House in the Cerulean Sea [03 – 04/09] 🌈🎧 – 4.5 ⭐ – I’ve never seen myself as a fan of low-fantasy but apparently I love it now! This was fantastic!
- American Royals [26-27/09] 🎧 – 3.75 ⭐ – I genuinely had an amazing time reading this! It feels a lot like a reality tv show in that their are a lot of characters and relationships to keep up eith and SO MUCH DRAMA, to the point where I was so relieved when I liearned this was a duology not a trilogy! I really had so much reading this but I don’t think I’ll be picking up the sequel since it goes in a very different direction!
- Batman Vol 1 [27 – 28/09] 💻📚 – 4 ⭐ – I can’t belive I’m saying this, but this might be one of the best comics I’ve ever read, it not the best I’ve ever read. I picked this up on a whim because I saw it on Kindle Unlimited and I’m planning to hopefully continue the series for GraphicsAthon in October! Really good writing and characterisation, and fantastic artwork that really matches the tone and changes with the story!
*Click on the images to go to my Letterboxd reviews!
September was a poor reading month in terms of quantity (not not entertainment!) but, I definitely spent a lot of time playing movies and shows in the background!
- Gilmore Girls Season 2 [31/08 – 02/09] – 4 ⭐ – Honestly, apart from the fact that I dislike Dean with a raging passion, this season was pretty close to perfect. I can’t believe it took me this long to rewatch the show!
- The Coolangatta Gold [03/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – Low-rate Nigel Thornberry lookalike who wears short shorts and yells a lot, tries to force the unrealised dreams of his youth onto his kids and is surprised when it doesn’t go his way.
- Gilmore Girls Season 3 [02 – 05/09] – 4 ⭐ – Jess Mariano and Dave Rygalski together in the same season? Amy Sherman-Palladino really was trying to kill me this season but I loved every second of it.
- Mad Max [07/09] – 2 ⭐ – Overrated and confusing.
- Mad Max 2 [07/09] – 2.5 ⭐ – This one at least had a plot, but it still wasn’t good.
- Jasper Jones [07/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – Fantastic and would 100% watch again.
- Jaws [07/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – I’ve seen this a few times now and it still makes me jump.
- Gilmore Girls Season 4 [05 – 08/09] – 3 ⭐ – Honestly, you can tell that the writers got a bit lost once Rory left Chilton but I’m crossing my fingers that season 5 will be better.
- Gilmore Girls Season 5 [08 – 11/09] – 3 ⭐ – Not my favourite season. Honestly, the show is starting to go downhill now and Lane’s storyline is GOD AWFUL.
- After We Collided [13/09] – 2.5 ⭐ – Better than the first movie but still problematic and awful, also full of so many plot holes and inconsistencies???
- Set It Up [13/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – This is always such a fun movie! It’s light hearted and cute and I love it a lot!
- Ibiza [13/09] – 3 ⭐ – I had zero expectations and Richard Madden met all of them. A fun movie about friendship, not working yourself to death and smashing Richard Madden.
- Goddess [14/09] – 4⭐ – I had no idea what to expect from this, honestly I thought it would be pretty bad but it turns out this is pretty funny and has a killer soundtrack!
- Bran Nue Dae [14/09] – 3 ⭐ – Not a great movie by any stretch but the singing was great!
- Forrest Gump [14/09] – 4 ⭐ – I was expecting to dislike this one because so often famous classic movies suck but this was fantastic!
- That Awkward Moment [14/09] – 2.5 ⭐ – A movie so completely forgettable that I literally don’t even remember watching it.
- Much Ado About Nothing [15/09] – 4 ⭐ – This is definitely my favourite adaptation of the play!
- The Devil All The Time [17/09] – 3 ⭐ – Interesting cast, weird story, super depressing and dark but, certainly held my attention and I had to see how it would end!
- 10 Things I Hate About You [17/09] – 4⭐ – I haven’t watched this since high school but oh boy, this didn’t disappoint! It was so much fun and the soundtrack? *chefs kiss*
- Cinderella [18/09] – 4 ⭐ – I needed a movie to chuck on in the background and this was perfect!
- Splash [18/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – Tom Hanks is the ultimate Soft Boi and I appreciate him for that.
- Big [18/09] – 3 ⭐ – A woman stuck in an emotionless life fallls in love with child-man Tom Hanks even tho he sleeps in a bunk bed and has a trampoline in his apartment…
- Turner & Hootch [18/09] – 4 ⭐ – Soft Boi Hanks strikes again, and this time he has a dog and solves crimes!
- The Proposition [19/09] – 2.5 ⭐ – I am so sick of racism and violence just for the sake of racism and violence. I don’t understand what the point of this movie was.
- Turner & Hootch [19/09] – 4.5 ⭐ – I really think I’ve found a new favourite comfort movie!
- The Proposal [24/09] – 4 ⭐ – Fantastic as always! We all need a grandma who would fake a heart attack for love!
- Hamilton [26/09] – 4 ⭐ – I definitely enjoyed this more this time because I was focusing more on the set design and the music. Honestly, my mother’s excitement to watch the show was pretty infectious.
- Avatar Season 3 [11/07 – 27/09] – 2.5 ⭐ – Such a let down! Honestly, I know everyone loves this show, but it’s not as good as you think it is and definitely peaked at season 1.
- Lost in Translation [28/09] – _ ⭐ – No thanks. Racist and slow. Honestly, this isn’t the kind of movie I would ever pick up on my own. It’s a really slow and invasive look at how people react to loneliness and also a semi-autobiographical story on the director’s side, to the point where it’s massively uncomfortable to watch. So yeah, interestingly shot and slightly jarring to learn abou thte behind the scenes of, but definitely not something I’ll ever think about after this.
- The Truman Show [29/09] – 3.5 ⭐ – This is such an interesting idea, it’s actually one of my favourite tropes, but I just wish we’d gotten to see more of Truman’s “life” before he started to figure it all out. Other than that, this was a fantastic movie with some standout performances from the main cast, and I’ll definitely watch it again in the future!
Gilmore Girls Season 6 [11/09 – ???] – Aaaaand this is officially where I start falling out of love with the show. Seasons 6 & 7 really went downhill and Rory became slightly insufferable, also I just want Luke and Lorelai to be happy but noooo.
WHAT DID YOU READ THIS MONTH?
DID WE READ/WATCH ANY OF THE SAME THINGS?