Hi everyone, welcome back to my blog! Today I’m bringing you the next instalment in my Harry Potter breakdown series! I’ll be doing a post for each book in the series, talking about different fan theories and random things I’ve noticed while reading the books! I’m having a blast re-reading the series, especially when I’m thinking about different fan theories in relation to whichever book I’m reading, it’s a lot of fun!
*spoilers for the whole series*
You can find my thoughts on book one here.
- Did Hagrid get Aragog from Newt Scamander?? “I came to Hagrid from a distant land, in the pockets of a traveller.”
Here’s a fun theory (link), Snape was testing Harry during the duel, to see if he would become Voldemort. I have honestly never thought of this before but it’s a fair point.
- Snape does whisper a spell to Draco before they start dueling and then Draco somehow managaes to ring a snake into the mix which seems completely out of his wheel-house for a 2nd grader but okay.
- So either, Snape was trying to gage how much like Voldemort, Harry could become OR he is trying to judge whether ot not, Harry could potentially be a horcrux. Because I’m assuming that by this point he and Dumbledore have started researching that stuff.
The Chamber Of Secrets Was Protected By Other Descendants Of Salazar Slytherin – I have literally never heard of this theory but I saw it here on one of my lazy research days so I figured I’d talk about it. Also, there really aren’t all that many theories for this book.
- So, Salazar Slytherin built the Chamber of Secrets and it was designed to home his random giant snake that he happened to have (because that’s normal) and to be a safe place for his descendants/ heirs. So, the theory is that future Slytherins added to the Chamber throughout the year and helped to protect it, I’m assuming that’s why it’s still standing and also why the snake is still even alive. Also, I’m sure when plumbing finally became a thing that was a really big hassle since the chamber is basically in the basement of the basement of the school.
- Also, that would make a lot of sense with the entrance being in the sinks/toilets in the girls bathroom because I’m pretty sure per, Rowlings disturbing little Twitter tidbits, they didn’t have bathrooms when the school first opened.
- Honestly, how did the other founders not notice him creating a whole extra layer with whole-ass passageways?? Like, they just turned a blind eye or somehow really didn’t notice??
Ooh, fun movie theory that I actually really like, because I think Draco Malfoy is a really interesting character.
- So, we all know at the start of the movie Draco rips a page out of a book and then at the end of the film, after Hermione has been petrified she has a ripped out page from a book in her hand. So, I like to believe that Hermione was either given the page from Draco (which she would never admit to) or he left the page where she would find it.
- Either way, I struggle to believe that she spent a few hours in the library and found all that info on the snake, But, Draco was somewhat “in the know” during this year, so I think it’s completely plausible that he could figure everything out, and since I think he probably prefers being at Hogwarts vs being at home, he wouldn’t want the school to close, so he decided to help the Golden Trio out.
I’m just imagining Salazar Slytherin trying to create a pet Basilisk. Put a chickens egg under a toad lol what.
So Harry was bitten by the basilisk and he’s a Horcrux, right? And, basilisk venom destroys Horcruxes right? So, why didn’t Harry die? Honestly, the answer is probably just that Fawkes healed him but… whatever.
Honestly, why did Dumbledore hire Lockhart? Just for laughs?
Okay so this is super specific but Harry would do it bc he’s a sarcastic little shit. So, Draco is constantly whining about Harry to all his friends, right? So, what if Harry had ruined it all by going up to them and just straight up agreeing with them. He would’ve totally changed the game, either making their rivalry worse or making Draco give up.
dO YOU KNOW THE FUNCTION OF A RUBBER DUCK
Can we talk about how Harry never pocked fun at Ginny for having a crush on him? In fact, he purposefully made an effort to get to know her and I appreciate him for it.
Do you ever think about the trauma Ginny went through for a whole year at the age of 11 only for everyone (including her friends and family) to forget about it until she reminded them.
you know why Voldemort is bald? It’s so no one can use his hair for polyjuice potion. Damn, dude actually did something smart in this whole 7 book stint.
yo why did Molly add “mortal peril” to the family clock?? That’s bloody morbid. But, I guess one of her kids does work with dragons and her other sons end up doing equally dangerous shit.
aside from plot why is tom riddle’s award for special services still in Hogwarts? You’d think him going on a killing spree and being the “dark lord” might have been enough for them to get rid of it…
plumber: i’ve come to do the pipes
salazar slytherin: make sure they’re big enough for a giant snake
salazar slytherin: no reason
salazar slytherin: Also, make sure these sink taps are linked to the secret door located in the girl’s bathroom.
Honestly, there isn’t all that much world-building in this book, but I continue to be flabberghasted by how the other founders never realised Salazar was literally creating a whole-ass other level under the school? And once the school was open they never noticed it? It must have been really well concealed because damn, these people taught kids??? I’m a little concerned.
i hate him, that is all.