Hey guys, welcome back to my blog! Today I’m introducing a new series that I;ll be including sporadically on my blog this year; Book Vices, and today I’m talking about why so many people don’t like ebooks!
So, I just want to start off by saying, I am totally pro e-book but I also read a lot of audiobooks & physical books! I primarily read from the physical books at my library but I also have a massive audiobook tbr to take advantage of and a great list of ebooks that I can grab whenever I like!
I love reading any type of book but I know there’s a lot of discourse on this topic so today I thought I’d give e-books a bit of love and talk about why you should give them a chance!
- Firstly, they’re ecofriendly! There are no physical pages and you’re reading off a screen!
- Sure, they have to re-charge eventually but so do you! Why can’t you charge them while you’re asleep or walking your dog? Either way, my Kindle works for weeks without needing to be charged so it’s always there when I need it!
- “But, I can’t binge-read with an e-reader! It hurts my eyes!” But you can scroll Twitter for hours, right?
- Talking about eye-sores! You can adjust the brightness and the size of the font, so you should be able to avoid headaches! CHanging the font size is also an easy way to avoid having to pay more when you buy large print copies physically.
- If you find that you’re struggling reading for longer periods of time, do some research and find an e-reader that works for you (I recommend a traditional Kindle without all the fancy gizmos) or, try reading some anthologies or short stories, that way you read for shorter periods of time.
- If that doesn’t work for you, more often than not when you buy the e-book version you can get the audiobook at a super cheap rate, so you can avoid reading headaches that way!
- You can read any kind of book, comics and manga are still easy to read on a kindle/ipad.
- You can read at any time – backlighting! You cn take them with you wherever you go and it’s not heavy!
- With an e-reader, books won’t become “rare” – it’s sort of like you have ultimate access.
- E-books are SO much cheaper! I could buy 5 books for $50, but in Aus bookstores, if I bought a paperback it would cost me at least $30 and even more for a hardback.
- Some are totally free – lookout for Kindle deals and cheap classics or books already available in the public domain.
- You won’t lose your bookmark! There are no pages for your old receipts to fall out of anymore!
- Physical books are a privilege so don’t be an asshole.
- You can send ebooks to your friends so there’s no need to get anxious about loaning your physical books
- It’s easy to annotate your books without worrying about what the book looks like physically
- E-book pages can’t turn yellow
- It’s the same book! If you’re happy to read a 10K fanfic on your phone, why can’t you read a 200-page book on your Kindle?
Just wanted to stress that I don’t hate physical books by any means, I only want to give ebooks some love for a change! I love page turning too but why should all these benefits mean nothing just because I can’t turn a page?