Hey guys! Today I’m coming at you with some standalone recommendations because I feel like we need to give them some love! I so often see readers (myself included) focusing on series and while I love big book series, I do really appreciate it when I only have one book to read to complete the story!
STANDALONE BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
THE MARTIAN, LOST BOY, QUEENS OF GEEK
THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES, FAITHFUL, THE NOWHERE GIRLS
WHY AREN’T THERE MORE STANDALONES?
- Room for in-depth world building
- Room for more extensive character development
- Room for character relationships (friendships or otherwise) to develop
- Room for development in story and plot – an overarching plot throughout multiple books
- Generally room for a longer “journey” – think The Lord of The Rings or Skulduggery Pleasant
- No need for extra novels: a self-contained story
- Get to know the characters & world quickly
- No need to wait for the next book to be released.
- Shorter time period (for reading and story)
Personally, I love both types, but I really prefer standalone novels. I don’t read as many of them because there are definitely less on the market within the YA age bracket, which is what I read the most of. I generally prefer standalones just because I can read them on the bus to Uni and not have to worry about reading a next book and forgetting details if I straight up forget I was reading a novel or just don’t have time to get to it.
That being said, I also own a lot of series on my shelves, and have pretty much grown up reading series like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Skulduggery Pleasant and The Lunar Chronicles. I love series so so much but, in terms of practicality whenever I don’t have much time or brain power (aka. whenever school is sucking my soul) I definitely prefer standalones because they take less energy and I have to remember less about them (depending on their size and complexity of the world, of course.) I’ve recommended some in this post already, but here are some more of my recent favourites:
THE SEVEN HUSBANDS OF EVELYN HUGO, WILD BEAUTY, THE LONELIEST GIRL IN THE UNIVERSE, THE PERFECT MOTHER
THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY, PEOPLE LIKE US, ONE TRUE LOVES, SOURDOUGH