Hey guys, today I’m coming at you with another discussion, crazy right? I’ve been trying to get better at writing these lately so you might see an influx of them on my blog in the next few months, and hopefully, you will enjoy them! Anyway, today I will be talking about whether or not we should read the book before we see the movie!
Today I want to go into the pros and cons of why we should watch the movie before reading the book! I know this an unpopular opinion anyway but I wanted to delve into whether it is actually a bad choice or if we’re all just biased book snobs.
- You can go into the story completely unbiased.
- Movies are fun!
- Watching the movie might be the reason you pick up the book in the first place!
- You won’t be constantly comparing the movie to the original material when watching the movie. You won’t be stressing about inaccurate plot points!
- You won’t have that weird feeling you get when you realise you pictured a character completely differently. You also won’t suddenly realise you’ve been pronouncing a character’s name wrong for 5 years.
- You’re more likely to enjoy the book/s more if you see the movie first, it’s weird but it makes sense if you think about it.
- You can go in with a completely clean slate – you know nothing and so have nothing to think about other than the movie!
- What if the movie is terrible and because of that you never pick up the book?
- What if you never even see the movie? Do you then not read the book? (and vice-versa)
- If you already read the book before seeing the film you have a lot of background knowledge. You understand the little background jokes and don’t have to read between any badly acted lines because you already know everything!
So is it best to see the film first or experience the book first? You tell me!