Need advice on HOW TO READ MORE? or HOW TO READATHON?
This past month, I have been in a reading slump and I am now slowly getting out of it. I hate slumps so I thought it might be helpful to tell you guys how I get out of them!
Anyway, without furtherado, I hope this helps!
01 START SLOWLY
Try to ease yourself back into reading, start off with smaller novels or even a novella!
Often when you’re in a reading slump you don’t want to read so in order to get yourself back into the groove you need to read something familiar or simple. To get me out of my reading slump I picked up the Percy Jackson series and just listened to that on audio on Youtube.
Cheesy romantic novels are often an easy way to help get you back into reading.
Some cheesy novels I really enjoy are:
- Twilight by Stephanie Meyer – don’t judge me I know it’s trash
- The Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout
- First & Then by Emma Mills
- Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen
That being said, while getting out of a reading slowly is what usually suits me best sometimes what you need to do is read quickly. Readathons can serve to really get you into the reading mood!
I wrote a post with some tips for readathons if you want to check it out!
Depending on who you are as a reader and the type of readathon, this will either help you out of a slump or put you deeper into your slump.
I usually don’t participate in readathons if I’m in a reading slump because I like to read at a slower pace when I’m in a slump. However, if you think a readathon might be the right thing for you there’s a whole readathon calender that you can check out!
Some of my favourite readathons:
A majority of the books that I read, I listen to via audiobooks. In fact, audio is my favourite type of format I use to read a book.
With audiobooks you can always do other activities while listening to your book. My advice, if you’re in a slump or an audio beginner is to start off with a familiar novel that you’d be okay with spacing out on a bit.
Whenever I’m in a slump I feel pretty much exhausted which is why my slumps tend to hit towards during December/ January or the middle of the year around June and July. So what I try to do is keep busy – I go into the city but don’t buy anything, I just walk around, let my iced latte water down and listen to my audiobook. If you can’t make it to the city or get too distracted while you’re there you could always try your local shopping center (I think Americans call it a Mall??… weird). I get if the noise or the shops are too much of a distraction so if you have a dog you could always take them for a walk or even just go for a jog just by yourself.
Audiobooks I recommend:
- Harry Potter series narrated by Stephen Fry
- Cormoran Strike series narrated by Robert Glenister
- Mistborn series narrated by Michael Kramer
Let me know if you guys would like me to do a How To: Audiobooks because I know a lot of people struggle getting into audiobooks.
04 DIFFERENT FORMATS
I think that changing up the format of what you’re reading can really affect your progress. Even if you just pick up something like a trade paperback comic, once you finish it I assure you, you will feel more accomplished!
Some of my favourite comics:
- Spiderverse by Dan Slott (Text), Christos Gage (Text) & David Hine
- Nova by Jeph Loeb (Text) & Ed McGuinness (Illustrations)
If comics just aren’t your style you could always try something different like a graphic novel, which is basically just a larger comic.
Some of my favourite graphic novels:
If you don’t want to read something that has a lot or any pictures than you might want to try just listening to something on audiobook. Or, if you do prefer reading with your eyes then you might want to try reading an ebook or a shorter novel because even if it’s a slight change to the way you usually read it might kickstart your reading!
05 CHILL OUT, WATCH A MOVIE!
Watch a movie based off of a book, this almost always works for me. Watching the movie inspires me to read the book and often if it’s a classic you can find the novel on the internet so it’s not too hard to start the book while I’m riding the high of the movie.
My favourite Book-t0-Movie adaptations:
- Safe Haven
- Not Another Happy Ending
- Harry Potter
- Gone Girl
- Mansfield Park
My favourite Book-to-TV adaptations:
- Shadowhunters (fight me, I really enjoy this show)
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (my review for season 1 will be up soon so look out for that!)
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
- BBC’s Class (not a book adaptation but books were written after the show came out)
If you’re in a slump and kind of want nothing to do with books that’s cool to!
Here are some other movies I enjoy!
- Life As We Know It
- Mystic Pizza
- The Man From U.NC.L.E.
- How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
- Think like A Man
- The Wedding Date
READING SLUMPS 1.0 – A QUICK OVERVIEW
- It’s okay to be in a slump. If you’re not feeling like reading a book then go out and see some friends or see a movie.
- Binge watch a movie or TV series. Sometimes you just need a break from reading. Catch up on some sleep and watch some Tv, no one will judge you, I promise.
- It never hurts to read a favourite if you don’t feel like anything new.
- It also never hurts to try another format.
- Take a breather! You don’t need to be reading 24/7.