01 Take Breaks
- Don’t feel pressured to read everything throughout the month. This is something I struggle with constantly, it doesn’t matter whether or not I read 3 books or 10 books in a month I will still feel like I’ve not read enough.
- Don’t burn yourself out. If you’re not enjoying a book or you just don’t feel like reading then don’t.
- Take a break. It’s okay to not be reading at full pace all the time – try taking it slow. You don’t have to be reading all the time, listen to some music, watch a movie or even go walk your dog. You’d be surprised by how much a bit of fresh air can do.
02 Set Goals
- Goals are a great way to get you motivated to read more throughout the year. Be careful though, there’s a difference between feeling motivated to read and feeling obligated to read. Just because you set your Goodreads goal for the year at 100 doesn’t mean you actually have to read 100 books.
- Speaking of, set a realistic goal. If you know you won’t have the time to read 100 books then don’t set that goal.
- Don’t feel afraid to change your goal. Plans change and there’s not always anything you can do anything about that.
- There are a multitude of goals you can try, the most popular being the Goodreads yearly goal. There are also goals that you can find on the internet based around specific authors and genres.
03 Change Formats
- If you’re having trouble getting through a book or find yourself in a reading slump try changing the way you’re reading the book, it can help a lot.
- Graphic Novels/ Comics
04 Stay Motivated
- Get motivated. Being motivated will have a lot of influence on how much you enjoy a book.
- Readathons. Readathons are a great way to get back into the spirit of reading. There are often heaps of people participating in readathons which means you have a massive community to bond with over books.
- Readathons usually also have a multitude of different challenges – if you don’t have a YouTube challenge that doesn’t mean you can’t do the challenge.
- If you’re feeling a bit low you can always try buddy reading a book with a friend, it’s always nice to be able to talk with someone about a book after you’ve read it.
- If you not feeling motivated to read a particular novel but you know it has been adapted then watch the film/ tv adaption to try and hype yourself up to read the novel.
05 Always Have A Book
- Always have a book. Take a book with you everywhere you go, you never know when you’ll have a spare minute to read. If you don’t have an actual physical novel with you then always have some books on your phone.
06 Reading Slumps
- It’s okay to be in a slump. If you’re not feeling like reading a book then go out and see some friends or see a movie.
- Binge watch a movie or TV series. Sometimes you just need a break from reading. Catch up on some sleep and watch some Tv, no one will judge you, I promise.
Good books for a reading slump:
- The Lux Series – Jennifer Armentrout
- Anything by Rick Riordan
- The Lunar Chronicles – Marissa Meyer
- It never hurts to read a favourite if you don’t feel like anything new.
- It also never hurts to try another format.
07 Schedule Time
- Schedule time for reading. This is something I really struggle with, if I’m participating in a readathon even, I’m still more motivated to read but I have a lot of trouble with setting out time to read. Before bed and during your lunch break is a really good opportunity if you’re busy to read during the day.
- Holidays. This is a great time to read and an even better time to participate in a readathon or two. You’re not set down by any school obligations and have a lot more free time so you have the opportunity to get a lot more reading done.
- Block out all distractions. Turn off your notifications or, better yet just turn off your phone (and/or other devices) so they won’t be beeping the whole time you’re trying to read.
- Make sure you have a nice and comfortable spot to read.
- Put some music on if you like to read that way, otherwise find a peaceful and quiet spot.
- If you can’t find a nice spot inside try reading outside in the backyard or at a local park.
- I mentioned audiobooks before but they deserve a catergory of their own. Audiobooks are one of my favourite ways to read a book, I can do chores and get some reading done at the same time. Win, win!
- If you want to try audiobooks they should have some at your local library and they have a great selection on audible.